Monday, July 2, 2012

Davis Square Flea Market

I love my little neighborhood in the Davis and Porter Square area of Somerville.  More and more often these days I find that there is always something interesting going on right around the corner.  This past weekend I was very excited to see a flyer for the Davis Flea posted in the square, and rose early, (for me on a Sunday this means before noon,) to drag my lovely lady friend along while I reveled in dusty old junk/treasure.


She was a good sport, and even found a few things she liked, including a vintage dress with a yellow floral print and some "vintage deadstock" sunglasses which she brought home.  Both look great on her and cost very little.  I bought a few things as well, though I probably shouldn't have.  Nothing I'll be making a fortune reselling or anything, more just cool old stuff to add to the whole "disheveled professor's study" vibe my room is slowly beginning to embody.  I'll snap a few pics and post them later on.  For now, here's just a few snapshots that offer a tiny glimpse of the assortment of antiques, junk, and antique junk that awaits you should you venture to the parking lot on the left side of Holland St about a block from Davis Square on any given Sunday between 10 AM and 4 PM from now through October:

I have a weakness for boxes, chests, footlockers, etc., and this guy had some especially nice ones.  I may or may not have spent a few bucks at his tent.

Wooden box guy also had an assortment of vintage and antique tools.  Those small wooden sawhorses really called to me, they were well-put-together, and screamed to be made into a footstool or something.  Sadly we didn't come to a deal on them, maybe next time.

Shoes, hats for the bold, a reprint of an old map that I made an offer on but left behind, and some unsettling vintage photos of dudes in good shape posed in some err... compromising positions.  Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.
I really like the small fan in the center, the card cabinet thing, and the typewriter, but they were outside my available budget and I'm having to get creative with my use of space as it is.  Don't want to cross the line from charmingly cluttered to hoarder status inside my little apartment.



Come check it out next Sunday if you find yourself in my neck of the woods.  I'll probably end up finding myself a tent and paying the very reasonable fee to set up shop for the day and sell some vintage clothes and other stuff before October rolls around.

Over and Out,

~CPR

No comments:

Post a Comment