Monday, June 25, 2012

Hello internet,

Here it is.  My first blog post.  I had the idea for this blog some time ago, and began reading other blogs to see what worked and what didn't.  I became hooked on several of them.  I suppose that mine will probably be, (as I tend to be as a person in general,) sometimes lacking in focus and sometimes overly focused on details that few others care about.  I fear my choice of topics may often overlap with some other blogs that probably do it better, and have done so for longer than I.  So it goes.  This will be my take on things; an outlet for the enthusiastic nerdery which so often overtakes me.  

Lately I've been fascinated by vintage menswear and have been bitten by the thrifting bug, coming down with a most severe case of Ivy League style fever.  I dream in repp stripes, oxford weaves, and technicolor herringbone tweeds. 

I've also had a long-standing love affair with Japan, a place I've never been to but have learned a few things about over the last few years, particularly their art.  I enjoy collecting old woodblock prints and other inexpensive ephemera, and hope to be able to start amassing some pricier treasures one day soon when I win the lottery.  Don't laugh, I can feel it coming.

I love antiques and history in general, one of the many reasons I feel so at home living here in New England. Yard sales and dusty shops run by little old ladies and grouchy old men are like heaven to me, be they filled with books, clothing, or myriad odds and ends, as is the case with one of my favorite haunts, the Cambridge Antiques Market, near the Lechemere stop on the green line.  If you're ever in the area stop in and check it out, there are four or five floors worth of delightfully disorganized booths, bins, shelves and cases filled with the treasures and junk of yesteryear.  

So these are the things I'll be mostly prattling on about I suppose.  I'll share my choice finds, gripe about how we don't make things the way we used to, and expound on bizarre trivia and interesting anecdotes from my life and the lives of those who have gone before. 

I hope perhaps a few people might enjoy reading, and I encourage anyone who does, (or doesn't,) to share your thoughts, tips, questions, guidance, or merciless derision in the comments section.  In the latter case, please try to refrain from unneeded vulgarity.  My mother always says it shows a lack of creativity and intelligence.

This hasn't been much of a real post, just some introductory nonsense.  More typing, hopefully with some substance, to come soon.


2 comments: